So it’s Monday and that means its time for, “Man-Bag Monday!’ for this weeks time of ranting and raving I would like to share an incident I experienced last thursday.
On thursday mornings I meet up with my students for a thing we call, “Bible-4-Breakfast.” To be honest it is more breakfast than Bible. It is really just a cheap reason to spend more time with my students and speak some truth into their lives…hopefully. While our Bible study is going on there are students all around us. They are doing many productive things such as illegally smoking (I think they are cigarets but…sometimes…I am not so sure), being loud, playing on laptops and well… being teenagers. This provides a great atmosphere for healthy and productive Bible study!
The incedent occured while leaving. I have chosen to edit the language so that people like my mommy will not have to buy me a bar of soap!
I am walking out with a few of my students that I bus to another high school and I just happen to walk through one of the most enlightening bits of conversation I have ever heard. One young man, who appears to be about 15, but then again without a beard I would too, is sharing his thoughts on his friend who is now pregnant. The thought was deep and profound. He stated that he hoped that, due to the fact that the girl is short, that the baby wont kill her when it comes out. The deeply enlightened teenagers began to laugh and then a young lady (I use the word loosely) states that she didnt have an issue with the girl having sex but rather her being so, “stupid,” as to go and get pregnant.
I guess the girl should quit hanging out with the Stork. That guy is nothing but trouble.
This child, this life was/is ONE BIG JOKE to them.
Have you ever seen the Incredible Hulk?!?!? If I would not have been walking with students I may have turned green. I was livid. Is this really the sign of the next generation? Have we allow our teenagers to become so desensitized that life has no more value than a common joke? I know that it would be easy to blame our entertainment raised society, which is extremely valid but I think it is much deeper. Something has happened at the core of humanity when we are not teaching the sanctity and value of life. This young lady is now carrying a human being that SHE is responsible to raise. Her life is now FOREVER changed. It is no laughing matter.
So I am offering some thoughts on combatting this issue:
- Lock ALL children away until they are 25 and then only let them see daylight for an hour a day until they are 35.
- Become Amish
- Remove all media from the home and only allow coloring books with pictures of ponies and horseys!
- Arranged Marriages
On a serious note:
- Embrace a Biblical view of life. Some basics…..its a GIFT from God who fastens all children in the wombs of their mothers and has a plan and a purpose for them. This means that NO child is a JOKE!
- Create a dialogue – we must begin to engage people in conversations about more important topics than Glee and Xbox.
- Teach Responsibility – I can not speak to the conversation I overheard but many people in our society learn from a young age that there are no consequences.
I know that my options are a big vague and you are thinking…..I have a better idea than that…great…share it…comment…let me know…let’s dialogue!
And that’s my rant on this, “Man-Bag Monday”