So I’ve spent a year learning how to, “church plant.” I’ve sat in meetings. I’ve setup church and I’ve torn down church. I watched people come in and people go out. I’ve seen the wear and tear on pastoral staff as they asked the, “why,” questions. Ive seen how little most people care about YOUR vision because its just that…YOURS.
I’ve gotten so much advise from so many people I feel like I could vomit ideas.
I’ve seen success. I’ve seen churches that have made it. I’ve sat down with their pastors and asked the deep, hard questions. I’ve wondered where the line is between a church making it and a church, “failing.”
I’ve gone to conferences with big lights, loud sounds and every book one could dream of reading. Honestly, I enjoyed the company of my wife & our friends the most.
I’ve faced the ugly demon of venturing out on my own.
I’ve cried over finances and where the money was going to come from.
I’ve sat in a lonely house working on a Bible study not knowing if anyone would come.
I’ve faced the fear of failure..
the fear of what it will look like to tuck my tail and go home…
the fear of, “what’s next?”
So what did I learn?
KEEP to the basics, TRUST Jesus & ENJOY the ride.
- So……I will do what we KNOW we are called to do….as stupid and silly as it sounds….
evangelize, disciple & baptize….
we may even read the Bible…I know….crazy idea.
- So….I will worry less about what people’s opinions are about our efforts and do what I feel led to do based on prayer and seeking of God’s face. I will quit worshiping at the feet of those who have done it well and worship at the feet of my one true king….. even when it does not line up with a book or someone’s educated opinion. I will TRUST the voice of God over anyone else.
- So….I am going to do my best to ENJOY the time I have. I literally may not have tomorrow. I hate the idea of waking up three years from now, four years from now, 10 years from now and being a sad, depressed, burnt out, ordinary minister who never enjoyed the calling of God
- I’ve just decided to embrace Heb 12:1-2:
- 12:1Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.
The Holy Bible: English Standard Version. (2001). (Heb 12:1–2). Wheaton: Standard Bible Society.